Who are we ?
We are the ISO Subcommittee for Quality Systems. We are responsible for the development of
ISO 9001 Quality management systems – Requirements
the most widely used International Standard in the world.
In addition, we produce the key ISO 9004 standard which provides guidelines for organizations who wish to go beyond ISO 9001, as well as other guidance standards such as ISO 10005, ISO 10006 and ISO 10007.
Our vision is:
- that our products should be recognized and respected worldwide, and used by organizations as an integral component of sustainable development initiatives.
Our mission is:
- To develop, maintain and support a portfolio of products that enable organizations to improve their performance and to benefit from the implementation of a robust quality management system.
- To establish generic quality management system requirements that provide the foundations to build confidence in products and services delivered throughout the supply chain to organizations and people worldwide.
- To provide guidance and support, where needed, to ensure the continued credibility of our products.
- ISO 9001:2015
Quality management systems - Requirements
- ISO/TS 9002
Guidelines on the application of ISO 9001:2015
- ISO SME handbook
ISO 9001:2015 for Small Enterprises – What to do ? Advice from ISO/TC176
- ISO 9004:2009
Managing for the sustained success of an organization - A quality management approach
- ISO 10005:2005
Quality management systems - Guidelines for quality plans
- ISO 10006: 2003
Quality management systems - Guidelines for quality in projects
- ISO 10007:2003
Quality management systems - Guidelines for configuration management
Please use the "Projects" tab at the top if this page to find further information on the products that are currently being developed or are under revision.
Guidance on ISO 9001
The following links will take you to supporting documents to help you in your use of the standard
- ISO 9001:2015 How to use it
- Selection and use of the ISO 9000 family of standards
- Are you sure you understand the fundamentals of quality and the terminology used in ISO 9001:2015 ?
- Quality Management Principles
Auditing to ISO 9001
Do you need advice about auditing to ISO 9001 ?
A key standard you should refer to is ISO 19011:2011 Guidelines for auditing management systems.
In addition a number of guidance papers on the auditing of quality management systems can be found on the website of the ISO 9001 Auditing Practices Group. These have been developed by an informal group of quality management system experts, auditors and practitioners from ISO/TC 176 and the International Accreditation Forum.
Interpretations of ISO 9001
ISO provides an interpretations service for its member national standards bodies, to resolve any identified ambiguities in the standard. Regrettably this is NOT a service that is available for users of the standard. It also involves a process of consultation among the members of ISO/TC 176/SC2 to agree any proposed interpretation, so cannot be expected to give an instantaneous response.
If you, as a user, have a query on the standard you should contact to your national standards body in the first instance, to seek advice on resolving it.
The listing of formally approved interpretations is available to download.
Related ISO pages
Want to get involved?
Standards are developed by the people who need them – that could mean you. Technical committees include experts from both standards and industry and these experts are put forward by ISO’s national members. If you want to help shape future standards in your field, contact your national member