Who We Are
We are the ISO technical committee with responsibility for energy management and energy savings. Our flagship standard ISO 50001 - the international standard specifying the requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining and improving an energy management system (EnMS) - and other supporting standards. Energy management systems; Guidance for the implementation, maintenance and improvement of an energy management system ISO 50001:2018 was published on August 2018. Additionally, we focus on measurement, verification and validation of energy savings
With respect to energy management ISO/TC 301 work will:
- support effective operational control to improve and maintain energy performance,
- enable effective decisions related to energy security, decarbonization related to energy types and management of those types,
- enable effective use and availability of data,
- support robust, ambitious and sustained outcomes,
- provide a sound basis for continual improvement,
- develop tools to support and facilitate implementation of energy management systems.
With respect to energy performance and energy savings ISO/TC 301 work will focus on developing standards that assist users to:
- effectively measure, monitor, verify and validate energy savings due to decarbonization efforts related to energy,
- effectively monitor and measure energy performance;
- use quality data and sound energy accounting practices,
- systematically identify and quantify energy performance improvements, and
- apply standardized methods for calculating, measuring and verifying energy savings,
- support transparent and effective evaluation and reporting of energy performance improvements and energy savings.
ISO/TC 301 aims to develop standards and guidance in the field of energy management for improved energy performance and energy savings calculations. ISO/TC 301 standardization work and products will be targeted to all sizes and types of organizations, groups, networks, cities, countries and regions.
ISO/TC 301 will provide support for robust conformity assessment schemes and the creation of a strong competency-based workforce for energy management, including continual energy performance improvement and calculation of energy savings.
Clarification of Intent for Requirement Standards in TC 301
ISO TC 301 has setup a clarification process when the intent of a requirement is not clear. If you follow the procedure and use the clarification request form, TC 301 will process the clarification request. All clarification requests that have been addressed are available.
Related ISO pages
ISO 50001 Clean Energy Ministerial Energy Management Working Group Awards
Want to get involved?
Standards are developed by the people who need them – that could mean you! Technical committees include experts from both standards and industry and these experts are put forward by ISO’s national members. If you want to help shape future standards in your field, contact your national member.