Non-alloy steel wire rod for conversion to wire -- Part 1: General requirements
This standard has been revised by ISO 16120-1:2017
ISO 16120:2011 is applicable to wire rod of non-alloy steel intended for wire drawing and/or cold rolling. The cross-section can be circular, oval, square, rectangular, hexagonal, octagonal, half-round or another shape, generally with at least 5 mm nominal dimension, and with a smooth surface.
ISO 16120-1:2011 covers general requirements and is not applicable to products for which standards exist or are in development, for example:
- steel wire rod intended for heat treatment;
- free-cutting steel wire rod;
- steel wire rod for cold heading and cold extrusion;
- steel wire rod intended for the production of electrodes and products for welding;
- steel wire rod for welded fabric for reinforcement for concrete;
- steel wire rod for ball and roller bearings (see ISO 683-17);
- steel wire rod for wire for high fatigue strength mechanical springs, such as valve springs.
In addition to the requirements of ISO 16120-1:2011, the general technical delivery requirements specified in ISO 404 apply.