ISO 10414-2:2002 provides standard procedures for determining the following characteristics of oil-based drilling fluids:
- drilling fluid density (mud weight);
- viscosity and gel strength;
- oil, water and solids contents;
- alkalinity, chloride content and calcium content;
- electrical stability;
- lime and calcium contents, calcium chloride and sodium chloride contents;
- low-gravity solids and weighting material contents.
Additional test methods are given that may optionally be used for the determination of
- shear strength,
- oil and water contents from cuttings,
- drilling fluid activity,
- aniline point,
- cuttings activity,
- active sulfides.
Procedures are also provided that may optionally be used for
- sampling, inspection and rejection,
- rig-site sampling,
- calibration and verification of glassware, thermometers, viscometers, retort kit cups and drilling fluid balances.
Examples of calculations are given for lime, salinity and solids content.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2002-07
Edition: 1Number of pages: 72
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 67/SC 3 Drilling and completion fluids, well cements and treatment fluids
- ICS :
- 75.180.10 Exploratory, drilling and extraction equipment
ISO 10414-2:2002Stage: 95.99
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
+41 22 749 08 88
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.