ISO 10414-2:2002 provides standard procedures for determining the following characteristics of oil-based drilling fluids:
- drilling fluid density (mud weight);
- viscosity and gel strength;
- oil, water and solids contents;
- alkalinity, chloride content and calcium content;
- electrical stability;
- lime and calcium contents, calcium chloride and sodium chloride contents;
- low-gravity solids and weighting material contents.
Additional test methods are given that may optionally be used for the determination of
- shear strength,
- oil and water contents from cuttings,
- drilling fluid activity,
- aniline point,
- cuttings activity,
- active sulfides.
Procedures are also provided that may optionally be used for
- sampling, inspection and rejection,
- rig-site sampling,
- calibration and verification of glassware, thermometers, viscometers, retort kit cups and drilling fluid balances.
Examples of calculations are given for lime, salinity and solids content.
Status : WithdrawnPublication date : 2002-07
Edition : 1
Technical Committee:Drilling and completion fluids, and well cements