Activity update from SC 17
Summer updates 2019
The Food Safety Management Committee, ISO TC34 SC17 continues to update the ISO 22000 family of standards. 2019 will be the publication year for the new guidance document which supports the new edition of ISO 22000:2018.
2018 was a landmark for the International ISO Committee – ISO TC34 SC17 ´Management Systems for Food Safety Management - leading the revision of ISO 22000 ´Food Safety Management Systems – requirements´.
The International working group responsible for the revision of ISO 22000 Food safety management system – Requirements, ISO/ TC 34/SC 17/WG 8, managed to complete the revision of the standard and the new version was launched in June 2018.
Following the publication of the new version of ISO 22000; there is a need for updating some of the related documents in the ISO 22000 family of standards.
- A working group of experts lead by our French colleagues at AFNOR will finalize a new handbook on the application of ISO 22000:2018. The handbook will be a merge of the former guidance documents ‘Fitness Checker’, ‘How2use’ and ISO 22004 including coverage of the new requirements in ISO 22000:2018.
- Another working group of experts lead by our Dutch colleagues at NEN will publish a new technical specification on a Prerequisite Program on Transport and Storage – ISO TS 22002-5.
- A joint working group between CASCO and SC17 will continue working on the revision of ISO TS 22003 Food Safety Management Systems - Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of food management system.
The group of experts is proposing that the best solution forward for this document is one common set of requirements for auditing/certifying food safety systems.
Product certification and management system certification. ISO/IEC 17065 and ISO/IEC 17021-1 are generic. Food safety requirements for auditing/certifying are specific to categories, scopes, audit process, competence, audit time, certification decision, and reporting. These must be common to either generic approach of ISO/IEC 17065 or ISO/IEC 17021-1. This is achieved by ISO/TS 22003:20xx becoming a required supplement to both ISO/IEC 17065 and ISO/IEC 17021-1 when auditing/certifying food safety systems.
- The Expert Panel (Advisory Group 1) has been reinstated following the launch of the new version of ISO 22000 and has updated the documents on the official website
- The committee have created another advisory group (2) to work on communication; tools, FAQs etc. regarding the application and implementation of ISO 22000 – also to be published on the website
- Finally, SC17 is part of the overall revision the High-Level Structure.
High-Level Structure is the common requirements, text and structure to be applied to all ISO Management System Standards.
The secretariat will work dedicated ensuring consistency in the ISO 22000 family of standards and have focus on adapting the documents to the requirements and needs of the market.
A nice summer to all the dedicated experts of the committee and all interested parties.
Torben, Mette and Carina
The secretariat team of ISO/TC 34/SC 17