TC171, Document Management Applications
ISO/TC171 is the ISO committee responsible for the standardization of technologies and processes involving capture, indexing, storage, retrieval, distribution and communication, presentation, migration, exchange, preservation, integrity maintenance and disposal in the field of document management applications. Documents may be managed in micrographic or electronic form.
- quality control and integrity maintenance;
- input/output quality of documents (micrographic or electronic);
- implementation, inspection and quality control procedures for storage, use and preservation of documents (micrographic or electronic), including supportive metadata;
- applications involving workflow (process management) in an enterprise and on the Internet;
- maintenance of quality and integrity during information exchange between systems;
- procedures and processes supporting legal admissibility and/or integrity and security;
- management of related audit trail information.
- records management policies and procedures within the scope of TC46;
- all work on information, process and production definitions and workflow of industrial automation systems within the scope of TC184;
- cinematography, dimensions, and labeling of raw-stock film, and the methods within the scope of ISO/TC42 dealing with testing, rating, classifying and specifying the performance characteristics of processes, materials, and devices applicable to photography;
- work being done by ISO/IEC JTC1 that is within its scope and in particular work of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC23, SC24, SC27, SC28, SC29, SC32, and SC34.
ISO TC171 is organized into two subcommittees - SC1, Quality, preservation and integrity of information and SC2, Document file formats, EDMS systems, and authenticity of information.
- Control processes
- Quality of input or output
- Production control, statistical evaluations
- Physical aspects of storage and preservation (short- and long-term)
- Operating equipment
- Evaluation of characteristics of use
- Qualification of processes
- Terminology - Vocabulary
- Integrity of information
- Logical aspects of storage and preservation (short- and long-term)
- File formats (PDF, AFP and related file formats)
- EDMS functionalities and architecture
- Evaluations and qualifications of EDMS
- Authenticity of information
[Source: TC 171, TC 171/ SC 1 and TC 171/SC 2 Scopes]
What is Document Management?
Document management is the management of documents in either electronic or paper format using computer systems and software to track documents through their life cycle.
Related ISO pages
Want to get involved?
Standards are developed by the people who need them – that could mean you. Technical committees include experts from both standards and industry and these experts are put forward by ISO’s national members. If you want to help shape future standards in your field, contact your national member