ISO 179-1:2010 specifies a method for determining the Charpy impact strength of plastics under defined conditions. A number of different types of specimen and test configurations are defined. Different test parameters are specified according to the type of material, the type of test specimen and the type of notch.
The method can be used to investigate the behaviour of specified types of specimen under the impact conditions defined and for estimating the brittleness or toughness of specimens within the limitations inherent in the test conditions. It can also be used for the determination of comparative data from similar types of material.
The method has a greater range of applicability than that given in ISO 180 (Izod impact testing) and is more suitable for the testing of materials showing interlaminar shear fracture or of materials exhibiting surface effects due to environmental factors.
The method is suitable for use with the following range of materials:
- rigid thermoplastic moulding and extrusion materials (including filled and reinforced compounds in addition to unfilled types) and rigid thermoplastics sheets;
- rigid thermosetting moulding materials (including filled and reinforced compounds) and rigid thermosetting sheets (including laminates);
- fibre-reinforced thermosetting and thermoplastic composites incorporating unidirectional or multi-directional reinforcements (such as mats, woven fabrics, woven rovings, chopped strands, combination and hybrid reinforcements, rovings and milled fibres) or incorporating sheets made from pre-impregnated materials (prepregs), including filled compounds;
- thermotropic liquid-crystal polymers.
Status: Under development
Edition: 3Number of pages: 22
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 61/SC 2 Mechanical behavior
- ICS :
- 83.080.01 Plastics in general
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goal:
ISO/FDIS 179-1Stage: 50.20
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.