This standard was last reviewed and confirmed in 2015. Therefore this version remains current.
The electronic version of this International Standard can be downloaded from the ISO/IEC Information Technology Task Force (ITTF) web site
ISO/IEC 13170:2010 specifies the mechanical, physical and optical characteristics of a 120 mm and an 80 mm dual layer DVD re-recordable disk to enable the interchange of such disks. It specifies the quality of the embossed, unrecorded and the recorded signals, the format of the data, the format of the information zone, the format of the unrecorded zone, and the recording method, thereby allowing for information interchange by means of such disks. This disk is identified as a DVD re-recordable disk for dual layer (DVD-RW for DL).
ISO/IEC 13170:2010 specifies:
- 120 mm and 80 mm nominal diameter disks that may be either single or double sided;
- the conditions for conformance;
- the environments in which the disk is to be operated and stored;
- the mechanical and physical characteristics of the disk, so as to provide mechanical interchange between data processing systems;
- the format of the embossed information on an unrecorded disk, including the physical disposition of the tracks and sectors, the error correcting codes and the coding method used;
- the format of the data and the recorded information on the disk, including the physical disposition of the tracks and sectors, the error correcting codes and the coding method used;
- the characteristics of the signals from embossed and unrecorded areas on the disk, enabling data processing systems to read the embossed information and to write to the disks;
- the characteristics of the signals recorded on the disk, enabling data processing systems to read the data from the disk.
ISO/IEC 13170:2010 provides for interchange of disks between disk drives. Together with an International Standard for volume and file structure, it provides for full data interchange between data processing systems.
Status : PublishedPublication date : 2009-11
Edition : 1Number of pages : 175
Technical Committee:Digitally Recorded Media for Information Interchange and Storage
Buy this standard
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Revisions / Corrigenda