Representatives of the Unique Identity Authority of India (UIDAI) and Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) will deliver a webinar presentation about Aadhaar, the citizen digital ID program of India.
Topic: Aadhaar, citizen digital ID program of India
Date: 21 March 2023
Time: 0930 UTC (1500 Indian Standard Time)
Title: An Overview of Aadhaar
Description: Aadhaar is the largest citizen ID system in the world containing the identities of over 1.35 billion Indian citizens and residents. Aadhaar users are able to interact with an increasing range of Indian government and industry digital services, which is gradually increasing societal, digital and financial inclusion. This presentation will address:
- What is Aadhaar and what is it for, with some parameters about it. It has 1.35 billion people registered and 12 biometrics are captured for each person.
- How is Aadhaar used for government and business purposes, particularly for legal entities involved in contracts, payments, supply chains, logistics etc.
- How is Aadhaar used by citizens and residents interacting with government and accessing government services.
- How is Aadhaar used by consumers, typically for retail and online activities.
- What are some of the challenges Aadhaar faces, particularly due to its size and the need to reach every part of Indian society for societal inclusion.
- Unique Identity Authority of India (UIDAI) or Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) will also say something about standards of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and are expected to make some comments about the relevance of Aadhaar to standards of ISO Technical Committee 68 (TC 68) for reasons of mutual interest.
ISO TC 68 recognizes the significant relevance of Aadhaar to ISO 24366:2021 Financial Services — Natural person identifier (NPI) because the NPI, being even larger, can learn much from Aadhaar’s experience and also because Aadhaar offers a significant opportunity for the early deployment of the NPI for many reasons.
Speakers: Representatives of the Unique Identity Authority of India (UIDAI) and Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)