The CD-Rom contains 20 published standards of the ISO 14000 family, plus drafts nearing completion, and ISO Guide 64:1997, which deals with the inclusion of environmental aspects in product standards.
The CD-ROM includes:
- ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 14004:2004 on, respectively, environmental management system requirements and general guidelines, principles and system support techniques;
- ISO 14050:2002 on the vocabulary used in environmental management;
- ISO 14015:2001 on the environmental assessment of sites and organizations.
The new drafts include (ISO 14064 parts 1, 2 and 3) on greenhouse gases (GHG). The underlying objective and principles for the development of these standards are to support market development by providing an auditable, credible, standardized process for faster, better, cheaper quantification and verification while maintaining:
- Neutrality towards specific policies and programmes;
- Compatibility with the UNFCCC Kyoto Protocol rules and provisions; and,
- Compatibility with the WRI/WBCSD GHG Protocol (Corporate and Project).
ISO Secretary-General Alan Bryden commented: "The ISO 14000 series of standards offers a complete tool box to address the various aspects of environmental management. The new CD-ROM contains its latest developments in a user friendly configuration, including those related to the accounting and verification of GHG emissions. It is a timely contribution to assisting in meeting the challenges of sustainable development."
Other new drafts included are:
- ISO 14025 on environmental labels and declarations;
- ISO 14040 dealing with principles and requirements for conducting and reporting life cycle assessment studies;
- ISO 14044 specifies requirements and guidelines on life cycle assessment of environmental aspects and their potential impacts throughout a product’s life cycle;
- ISO 14063, which gives organizations guidance on general policies and strategies with examples, to help improve internal and external environmental communication.
Today, the management of environmental aspects and impacts is a top priority and has established itself as a cornerstone of effective organizational practice alongside the management of quality, security, and health and safety issues. ISO/TC 207 was established in 1993 and is the committee responsible for developing the ISO 14000 series of environmental management standards.
The ISO CD-ROM ISO 14000, Environmental management, costs 298 Swiss francs, and is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details) and from ISO Central Secretariat: (see below).
- Environmental management
- ISO Guide 64:1997 [Withdrawn]Guide for the inclusion of environmental aspects in product standards
- ISO 14004:2004 [Withdrawn]Environmental management systemsGeneral guidelines on principles, systems and support techniques
- ISO 14050:2002 [Withdrawn]Environmental managementVocabulary
- ISO 14001:2004 [Withdrawn]Environmental management systemsRequirements with guidance for use
- Environmental managementEnvironmental assessment of sites and organizations (EASO)