ISO 19357:2016 specifies the requirements for design, construction, safety, performance, acceptance test and operation of marine cranes for low temperature operation.
ISO 19357:2016 is applicable to marine cranes of the following types, which are exposed to and operated in low temperatures:
- deck cranes mounted on ships for handling cargo or containers in harbour or sheltered water conditions;
- floating cranes or grab cranes mounted on barges or pontoons for operating in harbour conditions or sheltered water conditions;
- engine room cranes and provision cranes, etc. mounted on ships (including floating docks) for handling equipment and stores in harbour conditions.
ISO 19357:2016 is not applicable to the following:
- minimum ambient operating temperatures no less than −20 °C;
- maximum ambient operating temperatures above +45 °C;
- transport, assembly, dismantling and decommissioning of cranes;
- lifting accessories, i.e. any item between the crane and the load;
- lifting operations involving more than one crane;
- hand powered cranes;
- emergency rescue operations;
- shore-side cargo handling cranes;
- portable cranes on board;
- lifting appliances for lifeboats, liferafts accommodation ladders and pilot ladders;
- launching appliances for survival craft and rescue boats;
- gangways, accommodation and pilot ladders and their handling appliances.